Make sure your Denver personal injury or car accident lawyer is doing all of these things or else your case may never win!
The following is from Jay G. Foonber’s book “How To Start And Build A Law Practice”:
1. It is necessary to begin to work on the case immediately to protect the client’s own best interests and substantiate the need for immediate legal service.
2. Understand the importance for the investigator to photograph every evidence before they get cleaned or repaired.
3. Third-party witnesses must be interviewed as soon as possible.
4. The scene of the accident must be reviewed and photograph before it is altered.
5. Torn and blood-stained garments or other evidences must not be thrown away at the hospital. Bruises and other physical manifestations of the injury must be photographed immediately.
6. The injured person must be reminded that insurance company’s primary concern is to defend a claim for damages rather than getting any funds for the insured for personal injury.
7. The defendant must be told that the letter of claim begins a timetable and acknowledgement of receipt of letter must be within 21 days.
8. The letter of claim must be sent in duplicate and the defendant requested to send a copy to the insurance company.
9. Ensure that the medical records are accurate and has been fully reviewed by your client. Allocate enough time for the review of medical records. Keep in mind that insurance companies pay much more attention to a report that comes from a doctor rather than from a nonphysician.
Your letter of claim must have the following: (Source: Practice Notes on Personal Injury by Gordon Exall)
1. Clear summary of the facts on which the claim is based.
2. An indication of the nature of any injuries suffered and financial loss incurred.
3. Details of client’s employment, loss of earnings and any other losses.
4. If police report obtained, an offer to provide a copy if the defendant pays half the fee for obtaining it.
5. List of documents the defendant is expected to disclose.
6. Details of the insurer should be asked for.
Don’t rely on promises or guarantees and have other witnesses of the agreement that you had. It can be a client’s friend or relative who can later testify in favor to you.
The foregoing article was written by the author based on experiences he has had. This article is not stated as a legal opinion or as fact but instead is stated as opinion of the author.